A Travellerspoint blog

Hvar, Croatia

Hvar, Croatia
June 20th - 24th

We took a 6 hour ferry from Dubrovnik to the island of Hvar and then drove the 20 minutes to our apartment in Milna. Milna is a very small town (two parallel streets lining the seafront) and our apartment is on the third floor overlooking a beautiful inlet. We had dinner at a konoba on the beach and when the owner told us a storm would be hitting in 20 minutes we scambled back to our room and the rain and wind came in force right as we shut the front door.

Our first full day on the island we spent a lazy morning in the apartment and went up the road to get pastries for breakfast. After a our slow start we went into the town of Hvar and spent a nice day walking through the streets, visiting a Franciscan monestary/museum and having a great lunch on a terrace in the welcome sunshine. Hvar is as beautiful and charming as the other Croatian seaside towns we have visited.


The following day we lazed around again in the morning enjoying fresh pastries (we could get used to this!) and then went to Hvar town again for a walk recommended by mom's friend, Bob. We walked along a nice paved trail next to the sea, stopped to play in a playground, and had lunch at the Hula Hula Beach Club. We loved the Snack Tower which was full of appetizers we all loved (quesadillas, chicken satay, etc.) and our mock- and full strength-cocktails at the seaside setting. Gracie and Lucy enjoyed running from the waves as they crashed against the rocks below the restaurant.


We were greeted by a cloudless sky on our final day on Hvar and decided we needed to spend the day at the beach and swimming in the sea. After getting our fill of sunshine we went indoors to watch the US vs. Algeria game and were all thrilled when we found out the US would be going to the Round of 16 and the next game would be on Gracie's birthday. In the evening we had a delicious fresh fish dinner sitting on a deck next to the sea about 100 meters from our apartment. It was a long, leisurely dinner and a perfect way to end our time in Croatia.

The next day we headed to the port city of Stari Grad on Hvar and after lunch and walking around the city we boarded the Marko Polo, our overnight ferry. Our cabin was quite small but it was a great way to travel to the north of the country. We arrived in Rijeka at 7am and after departure we were on our way to Venice. Our funniest event of the morning was at the Slovenia border (we had to pass through the country on our way back to Italy). The border guard was nice to us when he thought we were from Italy (our Italian plates) but once we handed our U.S. passports to him he became quite formal and rude. As we pulled away we smiled knowing he was just angry that our game vs. Algeria two days before had kicked his country out of the World Cup. That's just the way it goes :)


Posted by k2arevalo 10:10 Archived in Croatia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint